Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Back at the office.....

Not only was today my first day back (since Friday but whatever) but it was my very dear friend's first day back after a 3 month maternity leave. She told me the other day that she had not ordered any pictures (some of which can be seen here) of her son to have in her office when she returned. I decided to solve this problem. I also decided to make her first day back a bit merry. So, I shopped for a "Welcome Back" banner - do you know how hard this is to find? They make many Happy Birthday banners, Welcome Home banners, Baby banners, etc. I persevered and found one though.


I purchased several different photo holders (otherwise known as frame type things), ones that spin, collage types and the requisite "I love Mom" frame. I cut pictures to fit. I went into my office at 9pm last night to set everything up, on the off chance she MIGHT arrive before me today (HA - new mother, first day back to work - be early? :))

I baked, of course. A quick family favorite, Mom's Sour Cream Coffee Cake (a recipe she got from a woman she used to babysit for which must make it 50-70 years old?) which earns rave reviews from almost everyone.
Apologies for the crummy picture - it's the best I could do at 1am! :)

I got to work and she wasn't there, but her office loooked perfect!

I got settled and kept checking for her. She came in - looking beautiful and happy - and just barely frazzled (her husband was taking the babe to daycare after all). I gave her a hug and followed her to her office where she smiled at my decorations, opened her office door, took one look, and promptly dissolved into tears. OOOPS. I made her cry. After another quick hug, I fanned her face and we breathed. Crisis averted. She was thrilled.

Mission accomplished.

“If you're alone, I'll be your shadow. If you want to cry, I'll be your shoulder. If you want a hug, I'll be your pillow. If you need to be happy, I'll be your smile. But anytime you need a friend, I'll just be me.” - Anonymous

P.S. I forgot on my list of things for this year - research and purchase a NEW, REAL camera. I outgrew my point and shoot long ago and I can avoid this no longer. (secretly --- VERY excited. :))

2 comments:

carrster said...

You are so thoughtful! I'm sure all your efforts were really appreciated. ;)

African Kelli said...

I love that Carrster is leaving you messages. She is such a sweet girl! And that cake? YUM.