Wednesday, November 22, 2006

The rush.....

Gosh it's been a long time.....I wish I could fill this post with pictures of all the wonderful things I have been doing. Unfortunately, my camera is on vacation at the Sony repair center to have it's focus fixed. I almost always have my camera with me (at the moment I have borrowed/scarfed a friend's for a few days) and am feeling very lost without for several weeks. My sister was right however, would I rather have bad pictures or be without it for a few weeks?

This week is more hectic than I would like. My friend, KS's baby shower is this weekend in FL. If it were up to me, I would not have chosen Thanksgiving weekend (and yes I am a bit selfish and don't want to fly/buy tickets on a holiday weekend). However, it was a group vote and I lost. KS is a dear friend from college and last year at this time I was preparing for her wedding, so it seems like just yesterday we were trying agree on wedding shower themes. I have honestly planned no less than 5 baby showers this year (and have had 10 friends have babies in the past year) and it's getting exhausting. Anyway, the shower is Saturday and I managed to find a reasonable ticket on this site. I can't say enough good things about the advice they give. KS was so genuinely happy that I was able to come that all my frustration with planning melted away. I worked feverishly over the weekend on this.....





It's a diaper cake. This one is obviously elephant themed. Yes, they are all rolled individually. It contains about 200 Pampers and is a most FUN gift to shop for and to give. It has a great "WOW" factor and I think it's fun to make. You can buy different versions, but I've made a ton now and I love it. So, that had to be shipped to sunny Florida. Picture me with a giant box stumbling into UPS on Monday morning. I'm thinking 4 days (plus 1 Holiday) should be plenty of time right? After much waiting, it's my turn and the UPS man tells me it will be $25 to get there next Monday! NOOOO - I say - I need it there by Friday. When he came back, with a grimace, I knew it was bad news. Well, $126 will get it there by Wednesday. AHHHHH - what? So, apparently, despite their advertisements, UPS takes days off. The drivers are off for 4 days. Oh well. The good ole US Postal Service came through for $30 and will get it there by Friday. I love my mailman.

My schedule includes working until 12:30pm Wednesday, driving with my brother to my little brother's birthday party, then on to CT for an evening out with the cousins. Thursday will bring family Thanksgiving, with my 90 year old grandfather, who is the kindest, most generous man I have ever known. He is a farmer who has worked hard his whole life and thinks nothing of giving what he has worked so hard for to his family. I am so thankful to have him as my sole surviving grandparent.

We'll leave CT Thursday night so that I can fly out to FL on Friday at noon and return Monday am. It will be a lovely weekend if I get something knit for this shower! That is stressing me out, as is the fact that my best friend and godson's mother, BQ is due in 4 weeks with her 2nd baby. Her mother is my aforementioned knitting guru and other mother. She knit my godson a beautiful yellow outfit as his "coming home from the hospital" outfit. BQ asked me to knit the outfit for this baby. I protested my knitting skills were less than stellar. She insisted that she wanted me to do it. I stated that her mom could produce a far superior outfit, but she stood firm. I was honored, but now I am stressing. I have put it off because I am afraid that it will not be perfect, but it must be done, otherwise I will be Overnight Fedexing it to NC when she goes into labor. :)

On the up side, I borrowed a fantastic (and very $$$$) camera this weekend to take some of these shots for another friend.....




Such a sweet baby! :)

And so....the rush begins.....I know that from now until after New Year's it will be busy. I have much shopping done and some crafting and much baking still to do, but the hustle of the holidays will still envelope me. Honestly, I think I love it. :)

Enjoy your family time this Thanksgiving. I am so thankful for my warm home, loving family and wonderful friends.......and that I have enough of everything I need or want.

"Friends are like stars... you don't always see them, but you know they're always there."
---Hulali Luta

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! You've been busy! The diaper cake looks great. You're really a true friend going the extra mile(s) to the shower on a holiday weekend.

Have a lovely holiday with your family & friends. Travel Safely!

African Kelli said...

I am so glad to hear that the post office came through for you. Could you imagine spending that much money? YIKES!
And those photos are gorgeous. :)
Happy travels and thanksgiving to you Ms. Katy!