Saturday, October 21, 2006

A celebrity in our midst?



My mom is famous - maybe not famous but a local celebrity? In November this year, my mom will celebrate 11 years of survival since being diagnosed with inflammatory breast cancer (a rare form). Approximately, 15 months later, she was diagnosed with brain mets (it spread to her brain). She underwent multiple treatments/surgeries which I won't bore you with here, but suffice it to say that it was not easy, but she is doing VERY WELL!

So, Mom volunteers at the American Cancer Society in our area. She is a Reach to Recovery Volunteer (a fabulous program where survivors who are done with treatment call newly diagnosed women and men to answer questions and offer support). Through that work, Mom was asked to participate in a fashion show of new clothing for people in treatment. The clothing is actually VERY amazing (and so much better than a johnny or removing clothing for exams) and the fabric feels lovely. If you know someone in treatment, Healing Threads. It would make a fabulous gift.

In addition, one of the TV stations in our area (FOX) wanted to do a story on inflammatory breast cancer and Reach to Recovery. Mom was asked if she was interested and agreed to be interviewed. Her story will air on Monday night.

On a personal note, my mom is really a true miracle. I remember listening to the brain surgeon and trying to wrap my mind around all the things that COULD happen. I was young - maybe 21 at that point and don't know that I could absorb the fact that my mom could be gone. At the time, I don't think I really GOT it. Looking back, I get it. I have friends who are in that place and I see how difficult it is. I feel lucky every day to still have my mom in my life. I get frustrated that her memory isn't great, etc but I always tell her how much I love her. She is a true inspiration.

Feed your faith and your fears will starve to death. ~Author Unknown

“A mother is the truest friend we have, when trials heavy and sudden, fall upon us; when adversity takes the place of prosperity; when friends who rejoice with us in our sunshine desert us; when trouble thickens around us, still will she cling to us, and endeavor by her kind precepts and counsels to dissipate the clouds of darkness, and cause peace to return to our hearts.” - Washington Irving quotes

K

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.